Bein Adam Lchavero

Bein Adam Lchavairo is a blog dealing with interpersonal relations within the Jewish community and the interactions of the Jewish and Gentile worlds. We're new. Be gentle.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Do we really care?

I would like to request that before reading my blog everyone should please read Typo Lad's blog titled "Was Douglas Adams Right?". It is something that I feel is neglected by too many people, in all circles. It is very hard to post a blog right after a blog as strong and true as "Was Douglas Adams Right?", however, I feel there a point to be added to it. Please do not let this detract from the power and strength of "Was Douglas Adams Right?"

I was walking down the street when I stopped to speak to someone I knew. After speaking with him a few minutes someone (we will call him Yankel) came up to me and said "Do you know that man?"

After telling him that I did Yankel told me that a few years ago my friend saved his life.

This is the story he told me:

Yankel didn't have any friends, was always picked on and had nothing going for him. This led to a deep depression, which eventually led to the decision to commit suicide.

As he was walking to his car, in order to drive to the George Washington Bridge my friend walked up to him.

At this point in the story Yankel told me that he prepared for a verbal assault, after all why else would anyone come to him? What he did hear, however, was the following:

"Hello, how are you? I couldn't help noticing that you looked kind of depressed. I understand that you probably don't want to talk about it right now but please know that I am willing to listen when you do."

At that point my friend wrote down his cell phone number for Yankel and told him "my phone is always on, it is never too late to call."

Today, Yankel is married with a few kids.

Why am I telling you this story? What am I trying to get across?

We all say that we care. We all say that we are good people.

How many of us would have noticed that a stranger is depressed?
How many of us would have stopped to find out why?
How many of us would have actually listened and offered to help?
If it was one of us walking by, would Yankel be alive today?

Would we have said Hello?

It is something to think about, as well as something to work on, for me at least.

3 Comments:

Blogger oose said...

Please bear with me, I have never blogged before.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

Very good post, especially for a first post. Welcome to the 'sphere.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't speak to strangers (or non-strangers). I don't like invading other's privacy and I don't like answering their questions. But I refuse to feel guilty about this.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home