Bein Adam Lchavero

Bein Adam Lchavairo is a blog dealing with interpersonal relations within the Jewish community and the interactions of the Jewish and Gentile worlds. We're new. Be gentle.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

0101010101

For those who don't speak "geek", that was binary. Binary code is a simple language. An object is either 0 (off) or 1 (on)*. There's also something called "Binary Thinking". In this mode, something is either one thing or the other. Black or White, Right or Wrong, Day or Night. Structuralism views Binary Opposition (an object is either1 or 0) as a perfect way to illustrate the fundamental structure of human thought, culture, and language. However, Post-Structuralism disagrees. They see "Binary Thinking" as an outmoded artifact of Western thought.

Derrida went further and called Binary Opposition (as it applies to Philosophy) "Logocentrism". Essentially, this is an implication that one of the two Binary choices is a positive one and the other is a negative one.

What, do you ask, does any of this have to do with Judaism?

A heck of a lot, in my humble opinion.

We've become Binary Thinkers. Somehow, we've become a people of Either/Or. You're either with the Gedolim or against them. You're either for Science or for Torah. You either own a TV or you are frum.

I don't get this. I don't get where it came from. It doesn't make sense. I mean, look at the original examples I gave:

Sometimes things aren't Black or White. There are other colors out there, and there are even shades of white and black. Things may be morally Wrong and legally Right or vice versa. As for it being either Day or Night� what about Twilight?

Apply the same observational logic to my latter examples within Judaism and they fall apart as well.

If I hold by one Gadol, why must I hold by them all? Does holding by them mean I must exalt them to a level that they are more than human? Do I not accept that my Possek may not be someone else's? In fact, might my Possek give someone else a different P'sak if his situation was different than mine? And if one Gadol, does something wrong or someone does it in his name, does that invalidate all the good that Gadol has done in the past? Does it invalidate the good other Gadolim do/have done?

Why do I have to pick between Science or Torah? My grandparents had PhDs and were frum Jews. My father and an uncle have both Smicha and a Doctorate. One does not, in my experience, preclude the other. In fact, didn't the late Lubavitcher Rebbe z'l have a degree (from where is apparently a whole �nother machloket)? If I come across something in Science that I think contradicts Torah or something in the Torah that contradicts Science, why would I throw one out? Instead, should I not study both harder and try to figure out what the contradiction means?

As for the TV point, well, I think I've hammered my point home enough by now.

Binary Thinking has a place, I'm sure. I just don't see that place as being in Religion.


*[which is why most of your electronic devices around your house have that 1 in an 0 design on the power switch].

4 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Hall said...

Who said, "The Law of the Excluded Middle does not apply to Torah"?

Whoever it was, it concisely sums up what you are saying. Good job!

11:47 AM  
Blogger by Jim MacQuarrie said...

If you'll pardon a comment from a gentile, I happened upon a quote last Wednesday that says exactly what you're talking about:

Maimonides taught in The Guide For The Perplexed, "if you find a conflict between science and the Torah, there is usually one of two possibilities: Either you don’t understand the science or you don’t understand the Torah."

Nice piece, Morts.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Selena said...

This is an awesome post. I agree so much and it makes me sad that we are losing the ability to see shades of grey.

It is much easier to live one's life in a black and white way and have someone else make all the decisions.

10:50 AM  
Blogger - Typo Lad said...

Outoftown - no offense, but you kind of make my point by making a negative comment about someone else's lifestyle choice.

It's not for you. That doesn't make it "off".

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home